Friday 7 December 2012

Devotion


6 years ago today my gorgeous Grandpa died...but this isn't going to be a sad post, in fact quite the opposite...because although our family has been without him for 6 years, we had him for so many more...and some people don't even grow up knowing or having their grandparents...some people aren't that lucky. And that's how I feel today: lucky. My grandpa was amazing. A true gentleman; kind hearted, loving, generous, fascinating...my grandpa was someone who took me to my piano lessons and always walked on the roadside of the pavement as to protect me. My grandpa made me feel like I was such a special girl, I would light up the moment I saw him. My grandpa taught me that the glass is ALWAYS half full...and I do believe it is.

But he also taught me something else...and he didnt do this alone. He taught me about LOVE. He taught me about devotion*. I grew up watching a man SO in love with his wife (my beautiful, loving and wonderful spirited Grandma) being respectful, courteous and kind. I watched him make beautiful presents and cards for her, and then I watched as my dad did the same to my mum and I learnt to do the same. I saw in them what I wanted, what I deserved...they paved the way for my future. My mum chose a man like her father, and I have done the same. Grandpa, Dad and JJ...3 amazing men with such similar qualities. I grew up wanting what they all have, and in the end, thats what I got. 

I think about my Grandpa every day...every time I see a white feather (which is a lot as I have A LOT of cushions much to JJ's annoyance!) and I often think about how sad it is he never got to meet JJ, or how he wont meet Blue or see our lovely house which I know he would have loved...but then, as I said to my Grandma just this morning...Grandpa is in us all. He is in our hearts. He is a part of us all. He helped shape us...he helped shape me.

So today I am not sad. I feel happy and I feel blessed. My Grandpa may not be around for me to tell him that I love him, but he knew...he knows...and he rocked. 

See...the glass is always half full...

* The picture is of a small art piece that sits in my Grandmas garden called "Devotion" that my grandparents bought together. It's beautiful, just like their love.